Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Job Anxiety

Olive1Q82 May 18th

What are ways in which a young supervisor and an older person may have difficulty communicating?

Is it possible that someone truly doesn’t see that they’re being rude and condescending?

This is the situation I find myself in.

Sometimes it’s challenging to see the other (younger) person’s perspective especially when you’ve been working two decades already. I bring it up because it causes me frustration, anxiety, and often anger.

So, I just wonder (honestly) is it possible that someone really doesn’t see that what they say are rude and offensive. Can someone be rude yet well-intentioned? Is there such a significant communication gap between twenty something’s and forty something’s. I really am trying to understand. 😊

I’m trying to determine also if I am being too sensitive.

Should I see this as a growth opportunity and stay or listen to my gut and find something better suited to my personality….⁉️

She causes me a significant source of anxiety. 😆 If it wasn’t for her, I’d love my job. So, what do you do when one person is holding you back from a career you’d love.

i know this is something many people face…not just me.

thoughtfulmomma May 19th

@Olive1Q82

I think some people don't realize that they're being rude or offensive.  (And then again, I think some people are very purposely rude and offensive.)  Age differences in co-workers can affect how things go for a lot of people.  I was always very fortunate to have good people to learn from when I was young, and now that I'm the older person and everyone else is 20+ years younger, I'm in a position to be a teacher of sorts.

Is this younger person your supervisor, or are you equals/peers at work? 

Olive1Q82 OP May 19th

Thank you for your response! 🙂

the younger person is my supervisor.

thoughtfulmomma May 20th

This is a tough one.  Sometimes young supervisors are great, are willing to listen to people with more experience, are willing to learn, even if they are in a higher ranking role.  Others just get a title and think they know everything and refuse help, guidance, and lack any kind of actual communication or supervisory skills.

How did this person get the job?  Are they qualified for the job they're doing?  Do they treat everyone else the same way?

Olive1Q82 OP May 22nd

She actually does her job very well. She’s impressive for such a young manager. At the same time. she’s an absolute jerk, very passive aggressive, immature, and often very contradictory—like she makes changes “just because” so that I’ll have to pivot and do things a different way. I’ve been working a long time. Generally speaking, you don’t change processes superfluously each and every day. If there’s a good reason, yes, but not to this extent. It seems very intentional, like it’s just to be difficult.

She actually seems well-liked by many people, but she’s an absolute monster when it’s just me and her. And I know she’s a terrible gossip so she’s probably talked about the situation between us at length.

i can’t even begin to describe how obvious it is that she’s just “making stuff up” just to be difficult. Who does that? 😆

thoughtfulmomma 19 hours ago

@Olive1Q82

What are the ages of everyone else?  Closer to you or closer to her?